Open Discussion Day 2008

Today's the day I said I'd be ditching AIM, so now I'm doing it. If you'd like to IM me, catch me on IRC or XMPP/Jabber.

Mozdev status update W20-2008

I didn't end up doing much planning for OSCON or the Firefox Summit last week; it might be difficult to finalize some of those plans since David will be gone this week, but I should at least apply for my Passport.
The sponsor work is mostly complete, so I'm going to refocus on trying to get Mercurial in production. The major tasks for that include integrating the new VCSlog table with other activity checking and rss feeds, styling the hgweb interface (adding mozdev-header, possibly removing some unused features like owner/description), updating our recent CVS/VCS viewer to use the database tables, figuring out how to handle our /source.html pages that all statically reference CVS instructions, and writing documentation for everything. It's mostly a lot of small tasks that together will probably eat up a lot of time.

Mozdev sysadmin meeting minutes for 2008-05-13

Present: davidwboswell (David Boswell), ericjung (Eric Jung), gjm (Gerry Murphy), silfreed (Doug Warner)

Discussion was held publically in #mozdev

Discussed developer priorities

  • setup mercurial commit logging last week
  • upgraded (staging) mercurial to 1.0
  • not much other mercurial work accomplished
  • updated external links in the mozdev.org header
  • released the secure update tool; fixed several minor bugs and updated documentation to make it a little easier to understand
  • updated the mozdev.org policy to allow us to fix web errors (and fixed some minor errors for projects I had notified several weeks ago)
  • working on updating application list so it can be more easily modified for sponsors
  • will be setting up an ad system to track displays, views, clicks, etc for sponsors
  • hope to finish up sponsor work by Wednesday, then work on testing SSL certs for Mercurial (and SVN)

Discussed sysadmin priorities

  • cleaned up disk space sunday night
  • log files have been moved to stats.mozdev.org for archival
  • nagios notifications were disabled for drive stats; gjm will check into that

Web stats/Top 50 page

  • still processing

Staging server migration

  • mozilla said things are still moving for getting a VM there

Next meeting May 20th, 2008 @ 15:00 UTC in #mozdev

Program your Logitech Harmony remote in linux

Concordance has finally made it's way into Fedora!

I've been maintaining packages separately from Fedora for awhile now; the review has been there since October 2007! Unfortunately there were some legal concerns about the trademark over the name of the project ("harmony") originally, then when 0.20 was finally released with a new name the package required some work since the library was split off from the cli.

At any rate, if you need to program your remote from Fedora, all you need to do is:
yum install concordance

You can then login to the Logitech Harmony website and use the program to update your remote (even firmware on some models)!

This Modern Life

Mozdev status update W19-2008

This week I'd like to finalize plans for OSCON, I need to do some work for Mozdev's sponsors, and I'll continue working on getting Mercurial setup as an option for projects.

Mozdev sysadmin meeting minutes for 2008-05-06

Present: davidwboswell (David Boswell), gjm (Gerry Murphy), silfreed (Doug Warner)

Discussion was held publically in #mozdev

Discussed developer priorities

  • hg testing released; two projects have asked for testing repos already
  • secure update.rdf generation released; there's been some additional interest on the list, but no direct questions
  • sent policy update to PO list; no objections so far
  • setup admin interface to select active VCS and initialize hg repository
  • left for hg: logging of commits to db, writing documentation, figuring out how to deal w/ source.html, figuring out what to do w/ /source/browse

Discussed sysadmin priorities

  • connection limitations are in place for CGIs (bugzilla, cvsweb, mailman)
  • bots/spiders have been hard on our server recently so this was very helpful
  • several software packages were updated on both servers

Web stats/Top 50 page

  • still ongoing

Staging server migration

  • no updates

Additional SSL Certs

  • hg.mozdev.org will be needed
  • look into bugzilla.mozdev.org?
  • in the future we'll need svn.mozdev.org
  • wildcard cert? We're not sure about the techincal details w/ that yet
  • probably cheaper to keep buying individual certs for the near future (4x $30/yr < $200/yr wildcard)

Next meeting May 13th, 2008 @ 15:00 UTC in #mozdev

Mozdev status update for W18-2008

I ended up spending a large part of last week fixing some architectural problems I created with the ProjectVCS/VCS classes and debugging some test cases, but overall the admin page for selecting a project's current VCS and initializing a repository is ready (announcement coming soon asking for beta testers).

Other tasks last week included fixing the Drupal spam module so it notifies the project owner rather than Mozdev admins and cleaning up the change password form to reduce the number of warnings.

This week I plan on getting logging of Mercurial commits into our VCS database log and figuring out how to best publish the new settings for projects that use a different VCS.

Mozdev sysadmin meeting minutes for 2008-04-29

Present: cdn-work (Chris Neale), davidwboswell (David Boswell), ericjung (Eric Jung), gjm (Gerry Murphy), silfreed (Doug Warner)
Community present: ccaygill, djc, JesperHansen

Discussion was held publically in #mozdev

Discussed developer priorities

  • worked on the backend for choosing VCS and initializing mercurial
  • didn't get much time to work on the admin interface; working on that now
  • some more cleanup from the spam a week ago
  • research into what the proper mime type for .rdf files should be (application/rdf+xml)
  • fixed password reset/change forms (missed from php5 upgrade)
  • been short on time the past couple weeks due to being down a car and being driver for the family
  • Doug will look into any recent errors that should be fixed

Discussed sysadmin priorities

  • mostly trying to find spam sources and potential spam sources on our server
  • some minor non-user-visible config changes
  • doesn't look like there is any spam being generated from hosted php scripts

drupal admin messages going to webmaster@

  • spam notifications were fixed to go to the site email (which is set to the project owner) rather than user 1 (which is always webmaster@)

Web stats/Top 50 page

  • top 50 page is still blank; web stats are missing for april
  • processing choked on new log file format; restarted this morning

email delay

  • email was blocked from Saturday to this morning
  • virus scanner died

Staging server migration

  • no updates

Minor updates for unmaintained projects

  • still waiting for Doug to write a policy and post to the PO list; will try to address this week

pay drupal developer to write wiki page on configuring discussed defaults

  • the documentation would help with existing projects and new installs until we have the time to update the default install profile
  • more discussion needed

Next meeting May 6th, 2008 @ 15:00 UTC in #mozdev

Mozdev status update W17-2008

  • Working on admin interface for new VCS' (bug#18960, bug#18958)
  • Cleaned up spam comments from recent spam attack
  • Disabled several forms that could be used for spamming
  • Researching proper mime type for .rdf files - Determined that application/rdf+xml is the proper mime type for update.rdf and install.rdf files despite finding other documentation that text/xml is all that's supported (thanks Mossop!)
  • Fixed password reset/change forms

I didn't quite get as much done last week as I had hoped so I'm still working on getting the admin interface for making VCS changes finished.

Mozdev sysadmin meeting minutes for 2008-04-22

Present: davidwboswell (David Boswell), ericjung (Eric Jung), gjm (Gerry Murphy), silfreed (Doug Warner), djc (autocopy extension owner)

Discussion was held publically in #mozdev

Discussed developer priorities

  • spam attack last week has been cleaned up; old notes system is currently disabled
  • mercurial is setup on staging at hg.vebzom.org; authentication is currently working against tigris database using existing CVS perms
  • currently working on getting admin tools setup to select VCS and create repositories
  • once admin tools are in place (hopefully this week) we can have devs test this on staging
  • no response from community for secure updates testing; just going to release it as "beta" and deal with bugs later

Discussed sysadmin priorities

  • spam attack ate up all the time last week
  • logging of outgoing messages was broken since PHP 5 upgrade; fixed and improved
  • gjm is monitoring abuse@mozdev now and replied to our upstreams about our recent spam attack
  • some security patches were applied to servers
  • copied production apache/nginx config to staging for Doug

Web stats/Top 50 page

  • log analysis has been restarted (about a month behind)

Staging server migration

  • no updates

Firefox updates server load handling

  • handled firefox 2.0.0.14 release well

Cooperation between AMO and Mozdev.org on abandoned project adoption policy

ericjung would like to bring passwordmaker.org's mediawiki install back to mozdev.org

  • should be possible; we'll need to work on the configuration a little bit

announce Mozdev.org sysadmin meetings?

  • Doug will post the next meeting time in his minutes
  • we should try to get the agenda for the upcoming week in a wiki for people to edit/comment

project status update form is being spammed

  • gjm will post to sysadmin list to ensure it's safe to be disabled
  • Doug will look into removing the form and links to it

Next meeting April 29th, 2008 @ 15:00 UTC

Mozdev status update W16-2008

Much of last week was spent getting a test web interface setup for Mercurial. We also had a spam attack on our old notes system that required us to disable the script shortly after it was re-enabled. We're still trying to cleanup from that problem but it should be resolved shortly.

This week I plan on continue working on setting up Mercurial and working on the tools needed for supporting it.

Using mod_auth_mysql for Apache authentication for serving Mercurial

I'm trying to hgwebdir.cgi setup and that part is going pretty well; I have a default config file that is being loaded by the script and serving a collection of repositories properly.

What I'm having problems with is configuring authentication. I'm using mod_auth_mysql to try to do authentication under Apache 2.2, but something is getting in the way.

I have the LoadModule mysql_auth_module ahead of all other auth* modules and AuthBasicAuthoritative Off set, but I still can't get authenticated.

Here's a snippet of our virtualhost to do Mercurial hosting; does anyone have any experience with mod_auth_mysql under Apache 2.2? Most things I'm finding on the 'net seem to indicate that it should work, but it's not for me.

        &lt;LocationMatch /\w+/&gt;
                # authentication
                AuthType Basic
                AuthName "Mozdev Mercurial Repositories"
 
                &lt;IfModule mysql_auth_module&gt;
                        AuthBasicAuthoritative Off
                        AuthMySQLAuthoritative On
                        AuthMySQLEnable On
 
                        AuthMySQLHost localhost
                        AuthMySQLUser authuser
                        AuthMySQLPassword authpass
                        AuthMySQLDB db
 
                        AuthMySQLUserTable "`users`"
                        AuthMySQLNameField "`username`"
                        AuthMySQLPasswordField "`password`"
                        AuthMySQLPwEncryption [method]
                        AuthMySQLUserCondition "active = 1"
                &lt;/IfModule&gt;
                &lt;LimitExcept GET&gt;
                        Require valid-user
                &lt;/LimitExcept&gt;
        &lt;/LocationMatch&gt;

Mozdev sysadmin meeting minutes for 2008-04-15

Present: davidwboswell (David Boswell), ericjung (Eric Jung), gjm (Gerry Murphy), silfreed (Doug Warner)

Discussion was held publically in #mozdev

Discussed developer priorities

  • got mercurial plan together; started getting mercurial setup on vebzom
  • deployed update.rdf generation, but need some testers
  • various bug triaging
  • we have some mod_rewrite bugs still lingering; trying to get my test suite fixed to track them down
  • otherwise working on mercurial and update.rdf testing

Discussed sysadmin priorities

  • still need to work on log rotation scripts
  • fixing mod_rewrite bugs as they come up
  • apache2 is serving http and https

Review roadmap changes

  • MXR tool (replaces LXR) support, CVS, SVN, and hg
  • updated roadmap will be announced to POs later today

Staging server migration

  • no updates

Firefox updates server load handling

  • no updates

Mozdev status update W15-2008

This week I plan to continue working on getting a Mercurial setup on vebzom while testing out the update.rdf generation.